Monday, February 21, 2011

Samba in Ubuntu 10.10 very very slow

After upgrading my Ubuntu server to 10.10, I found that transferring files to it was horribly slow. As in 200kB/s slow, over a 1Gb network. There were no errors, it was just horribly horribly slow.
After some searching on the topic, I found that the socket options line that was recommended in the smb.conf file in previous versions:


socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY \
               SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

was actually causing this issue. Anything specified here that is actually required seems to be default with 10.10 and the corresponding kernel, so I just commented this line out, and things were back to a reasonable speed.
I'm guessing that specifying the buffer sizes causes havoc with the current implementation.
Gah!

No comments: