Monday, August 18, 2008

Core Interest: D&D

This is the first of a series of posts introducing myself via my core interests. The term 'core interest' sounds like something out of an Internet RFC or a D&D rulebook, I know, but that's just how I am. Deal with it.
Yes, I play Dungeons and Dragons. It's one of the highlights of my week. It's just great fun. It's beer with the lads. It's constant geek/movie/pop culture/programming/book references jokes and some silly voices.
The character I currently play is Moag the half-orc. Obviously, he's dumb but strong, but not in the way that you think. Mostly, he's just underedumacated. 'Moag's mother always say Moag make bad decisions'. He favours the use of a terrifying flail.
We're playing with the 3.5 edition rules still, but are looking to start on the 4.0 ruleset. 4.0 is quite different from 3.x, so we won't be bringing our characters across, but that's OK with us. We tend to like a change every now and then. Playing low level characters can be just as much fun as the ultra powerful god like abominations you end up with. Before that, we need to find some closure to two compaigns, one a multiverse/planescape mind-fuck from Rich, and the other a Faerunian shadow-plagued knees-bent running-around power-fest from me.
I'm currently writing the latter and looking for inspiration. Reading the sourcebook 'Lost Empires of Faerun' is providing a good background. It won't be an easy adventure for the poor rich adventurers either. TPK is a viable end to the campaign. Heh.

No comments: